Dear Mother

I am with you mother,
As the ground beneath you shakes.
I'm with you as you hold her
And I feel the heart that breaks.

I'm with you up the drive,
empty promises in hand-
there as you collapse inside a house of shattered plans.

I follow you to bedrooms,
pastel alphabets and trees,
And in the torrid silence
I fall with you to your knees.

Your dreams of loss are mine,
and I wake with you in sweat.
My heart bleeds next to yours
For the hearts we've never met.

Can you feel my arms around you as you rock the empty chair?
Do you see that I am crying for the son who isn't there?

I suffer your reminders,
Every milestone and date.
I walk the streets beside you,
In a crowd who can't relate.

I sense your guilt. I feel your pain.
I have no answers, friend
As to why a heart keeps beating
For the life that wants to end.

But I am near in every moment, of this loss we have to share.
Search me in the darkness,
I am with you.  
I am there.


-Nora






























Comments

  1. Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I am so broken. It helps to know that I'm not alone. 2 years (in December) since our Addie was born sleeping... and 2 weeks since our Amara left us at only 6 weeks (miscarriage). I am shattered... I had finally opened my heart back up to hope, but here I am again, raw grief spilling everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts