Look.

This week, Chrissy Teigen and John Legend lost their son.  His name is Jack.  

It has taken me some time to sort.  And not because it's impossible anymore, to process the inevitable grief that ascends when anyone loses their baby- to smile and make dinner and help with math homework- while the scars on my heart soften and spread.  It has been seven years since my baby died.  I'm good at that now. 

What has me reeling is the response.  The collective, societal demand of these brave, bereaved, broken people, to keep their pain private.  

I knew better than to read the comments.  (don't we always?)  And yet I found myself scrolling-in the corner of my room, in the car at batting practice, in my classroom on my lunch hour- hoping for believing in, willing some improvement since I found myself in their (much less expensive but no less vulnerable) shoes years ago.  Spoiler alert:  there isn't one.  

"I feel these pictures are super personal and should have been kept private."
"Maybe some of us don't want to see this."
"You called a photographer to take pictures of the dead fetus, of yourself crying, of the operation you had.. How sordid this is!"
"Feelings like grief need to be elaborated privately."
"I find the whole thing totally inappropriate and grotesque."
"Nobody in their right mind would post about this type of pain."

I thought about her reading, too.  Chrissy, in her postpartum underwear, holed up in her mansion.  The unknown, un-famous woman from Idaho who just returned from the crematorium.  Her milk comes in with no baby to feed, and she panics.  She Googles how to make it stop, and seven years later cabbage leaves will make her cry.

I grew frantic, like some sort of feral dog protecting its rations.  I started reporting them, one by one.  After fifty my hands grew tired, and I'd become so angry I couldn't make the words out anymore, but it didn't matter.  I knew what they were saying, all of them.  

Look away.  

When my daughter died I didn't know it could happen, at least not to me.  It was such a shock that I didn't cry for a full month.  The nurses were crying, the doctors were crying.  My husband and mother and sisters, passing her around the room in beautiful hysterics. I remember counting the tiles on the floor.  The brackets in the curtains.  I remember cleaving the reality from my own each time they laid her on my chest: "If this were real, look how bad it would be." 

Unfortunately, when I finally realized just how real and just how bad it is when your baby dies inside of you and then you have to deliver her, the mailbox was empty.  The flowers had died and the texts had stopped.  Life had resumed, in all of its magnificient, filtered glory, and I couldn't.  Because although I had been THERE and done THAT and bought the tattoo, I had also been trying- so desparately- to look away.  

And so I found myself feeling faint at barbeques.  And hiding from strollers in parking lots.  And yelling at husbands and three-year-old sons, and at deadlines and mirrors and stoplights until I opened my eyes-in the figurative sense but also the literal kind.  One day, I lifted her pictures from the hospital folder and I looked at her, really, for the first time.  I cried for a year maybe, at weddings and preschool soccer games and parent/teacher conferences.  To the mailman and the crossing guard and the barista.  I told them what they hadn't asked about, showed them things no one likes to see, and it felt...necessary, and glandular, and terrifying.  And good.  

Here's the thing:  ignoring grief doesn't make it go away.  Ignoring death, the timely kind or the baby  kind, doesn't make it pretend, doesn't put it back in the closet.  It doesn't make you stronger, or happier, or smarter, or a good friend, to deny life's one and only guarantee.  And berating someone (publicly or otherwise) for looking when you can't?  That makes you limited.  It makes you a coward.  It makes you gross.  

So Chrissy, when life resumes, as it must. When people stop asking and start forgetting, (as they always do eventually but when your baby dies, immediately.)   When you are reminded that you can always "try again", as though he were a missed layup.  When they invite you to the mall, and scoff when you don't respond in kind, and when they say things like "I don't know if I can ever see those pictures, Nora."

Share.  To your broken heart's content.  
Tell them.  Show them.  Force their eyes, as life has yours. 
Bare your love.  Bare your weathered, polished soul.  
Make them better.  

Make them look.  






 















Comments

  1. This is incredibly well written and captures many of my feelings, too.

    As soon as I saw her IG photo I knew... in the way those of us who have been there (and are still there, even a decade later?) know the howls she was releasing between sobs.

    Thank you for reporting those terrible comments. I hope she didn’t see them (though I’m sure she did).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
      my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
      free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
      voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
      recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
      healer is capable to heal anything below.

      1. Diabetes
      2. HERPES 1/2
      3. CANCER
      4. Lymphoma disease
      5. Conceived a child
      6. Fibroid

      Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
      whatsApp: +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. This is so perfectly, heartbreakingly said. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Force their eyes, as life has yours. YES. OMG YES. You carried every statement in this piece with so much accuracy and perfection, I want to tattoo it on my skin somehow to be forever published for the passers by to see.

    I too read a lot of the comments and wanted to furiously reply individually and correct the ignorance and wrong doing of so many. It was exhausting. Good for you for reporting. And thank you for this piece. It made me feel so connected once again as a loss mamma myself xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very glad for what Dr Ogedegbe did for me, i meant dr ogedegbe through a friend he helped win a court case of divorce few weeks ago and when i contacted him, he help me to cast a death spell on my mother in-law who was really troubling my life and future, she never wanted my progress, each time I get a job from a company, I get drove back because of the witchcraft mother in-law I have, I never knew my mother in-law was the one troubling me, until one day I contacted Dr Ogedegbe for help and he told me that my mother in-law is the one troubling me and he help me cast a death spell on her. I am happy because the evil doer is dead and ever since then my life has turned around for good things, I now work fine for me and am now i am happily living beautifully with my family, thanks to Dr Ogedegbe. I recommend you to contact Dr Ogedegbe via email dr.ogedegbe6@gmail. com or call/whatsapp him via +2348109374702..

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF DOCTOR OYAMA CONTACT ON WHATS_APP NUMBER +2348108264684

    This is my testimony about the good work of  Oyama who helped me.... I'm Treesha Gaona from New York. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually meet this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 1 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please I want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, I advise you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real, he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tells is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is droyamasolutiontemple@gmail.com or directly on WhatsApp +2348108264684

    ReplyDelete
  7. How To Get Your Ex Lover/Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Wife Or Husband Back

    I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can communicate with LORD ZAKUZA through the below informations.

    Website via: lordzakuzaspells.com
    WhatsApp/call/text: +1 740 573 9483
    Email: Lordzakuza7 @gmail. com

    ReplyDelete
  8. my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine

    ReplyDelete

  9. We are a certified private lender and I offer local and international lending services to meet your financial needs such as: B. Home loans, auto loans, mortgage loans, business loans, international loans, personal loans, public refinancing and debt consolidation at an affordable rate. For more information, please contact me by email: (challotloan@gmail.com)
    Urgent Loan Offer .

    ReplyDelete
  10. GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK OR YOUR BROKEN RELATIONSHIP OR MARRIAGE RESTORED BACK.

    Greatest things I have ever experienced in my life and my broken marriage. and I saw a wonderful testimony of Lisa on a psychic page about the good works of Dr Omokpo. I never believed it, because I have never heard anything about such a miracle before. Nobody would have been able to convince me about it not until dromokpo@gmail.com did a marvelous work for me that restored my broken marriage by getting my husband back to me and leaving the other woman he wanted to marry. as his new wife after fixing their wedding date. I was truly shocked when my husband knelt down pleading for forgiveness for me to accept him back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to Dr Omokpo For his a God sent to me and my Entire family for divine restoration of my marriage. Contact him now for any kind of help via email: dromokpo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to testify to everyone on how my husband and i got children after our 5 years of marriage. we got married and we could not conceive a child we have been to several hospitals for checking and the doctors always say that we are okay that nothing is wrong with us, we have been hoping for a child, my husband was beginning to keep late night outside and pressure from the family for him to marry another wife and divorce me, i was always crying and weeping because i was loosing my marriage. so i visited my friend in Florida and she told me that she also have been through this same situation but she got her help of getting pregnant from a Herbal Doctor of fertility,, so she told me that she will connect me to the Herbal Doctor and he will prepare a FERTILITY HERBAL SOAP for me to have my own child, i spent 4days with her in Florida and we both email the Herbal Doctor and he said i should bring all my information to him and he said in 3days the Fertility soap will be prepared and he will send/ship it to me through UPS, after I used it as he instructed, so i waited and i went back made love with my husband and i conceive. so i am very grateful to the Herbal Doctor for his help and miracle that help me save my marriage. please for same help getting pregnant, contact him on zicoherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
    my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
    free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
    voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
    recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
    healer is capable to heal anything below.

    1. Diabetes
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. Lymphoma disease
    5. Conceived a child
    6. Fibroid

    Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
    whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am amazed by Ohikhobo's remedy. I Have had herpes for over 6 years with frequent outbreaks. Sometimes I average 2-3 times per month. Before one breakout could end, the next would begin. Nothing has helped me. I came online in search for a possible way to see how I can fight this virus so I found Ohikhobo here online after seeing a lot of testimonies of how he cured herpes and other diseases with natural herbs so I decided to give it a try I only took his remedy for two weeks and I was completely cured. I recommend Ohikhobo's remedy to anyone suffering from herpes that wants to be completely cured too.

    Email: drohikhoboherbalcenter @ gmail com

    WhatsApp +1740-231-2427

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts