On Grief And Elephants.

It’s random where it hits, now.  I’m in a produce aisle or a pillow fort and I’ll think, my daughter is dead.  


Of course this is no realization.  Of course I know this to be true, always.  Even if I’m laughing or even when I’m complaining that my toes are cold.  Or that time we had snow cones for dinner and played bubble monsters at bath time.  Of course I knew it then, too.  Tucked away in the cellar of my noisy observations, years and piles and walls, gray and still, there is her skin on mine.  


That morning is a locomotive in my mind.  It exists in snippets, in passing.  Like if I pause too long I might forget to breathe.  Like if I pull the sheets to my chin, I might never stand.  I used to be grateful for the blur; keep me moving, keep it brief.  Keep your hands inside and your eyes ahead and don’t look back. Now all I want is to pause there; take a long afternoon in the throes.  Pull the chain and lurch with the stop. Exhale while she’s still in my arms.  


People said what to expect, as though one can.  As though after one grows one and feels one, and delivers one and buries one, she can ever predict anything again.  They said to hold her, so I did.  They said to feel, so I tried.  They told me  I could survive, thrive even.   Ha!  I scoffed into my catered fruit.   You weren’t there.  You don’t know what I’m without.  


Take pictures, they offered.  What if I never look at them?  I thought.  A mother never forgets, they replied, and they were right.   But they didn’t tell me about the guilt.  Didn’t warn me about the first belly laugh; how I’d slump down in my chair after - turn to no one for approval.  They didn’t say what 75 and sunny feels like now, or how squeals Christmas morning can burn.  No one said there’d come a time I’d have to squint to see her face. Or seven years from now, you will think of her while opening a bomb pop and you won’t even cry. 


We bereaved are re-framers.   We have to be, lest the sun snuff our every waking try.  And so I tell myself the truth, as often as I can.  


You love her, more than anyone ever could.  You honor her, every tear and every crow.  


You’re her mother.  Time’s got nothing on you.  





Comments

  1. How To Get Your Ex Lover/Partner/Boyfriend/Girlfriend/Wife Or Husband Back

    I was married for 16 years to a loving mother and wife. We had 2 children together who are now 11 & 13. I reconnected with an old girlfriend from college on Facebook and we began an affair and I left my wife. The woman I had an affair with is a wonderful woman and I love her too and our kids had begun accepting the situation and my wife has kind of moved on, but not in love with the man she is seeing. I thought I fell out of love with my wife and I felt terrible about what I did to her - she is a good woman and I don't know what came over me. I decided to try and get her back and I was recommended to Lord Zakuza for help to get reunited with my wife and within 48 hours after I made contact with Lord Zakuza my wife decided to work things out with me and now we are back together with our children living as one happy family. I really don't know the words to use in appreciation of what Lord Zakuza did for me but I will say thank you sir for reuniting I and my family back. For those in trying times with their marriages or relationship can communicate with LORD ZAKUZA through the below informations.

    Website via: lordzakuzaspells.com
    WhatsApp/call/text: +1 740 573 9483
    Email: Lordzakuza7 @gmail. com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts